Are you searching for affordable wedding venues in Melbourne? Well, look no further because we’ve got you covered. Venue hire costs are usually take up the lion’s share of the wedding budget, but with Tagvenue organising a beautiful and memorable wedding reception in Melbourne doesn’t have to break the bank. Our collection features reasonably priced wedding venues in all shapes and sizes. Many of them allow you to organise a stunning wedding for under $100 per person! Regardless of your budget or what kind of reception you’re planning, we’re stoked to help you organise the wedding of your dreams for less. So, why not check out what we have in store?
The dynamic coastal area of Australia not only offers a cosmopolitan art scene, award-winning restaurants, and an interesting juxtaposition of old and new architecture but also provides an eclectic mix of cost-effective wedding venues. Whether you’re dreaming of a wedding that makes you feel as though you’ve travelled the back the to late 1800s, yearning for weddings with a modern flair and laid-back vibes, or considering a celebration steeped in Mother Nature, Melbourne has got you covered.
One of the best ways to save on the cost of your wedding is through your choice of wedding venue. Choosing a site is one of the very first steps in planning a wedding, as everything else will usually hinge on your selected location. The popularity of urban wedding venues is on the rise, and Lieux is one of the best sites for a budget wedding Melbourne has to offer. An intimate venue on the edge of the city, Lieux is a place where your guests can look forward to a private cocktail style wedding or a bountiful sit-down dinner. Our flexibility and versatility make Lieux a leading choice among budget wedding venues Melbourne wide.
Check out Vines of the Yarra Valley Wedding Venue for your ultimate wedding reception.
Those of you planning marriage this autumn (or fast approaching winter) may figure Melbourne is a better city based on proximity to guests and family. While you may fear the cost of your wedding, you’re far from alone. The average price of marriage in Australia is said to average $36,200 (if not far more) in recent years, giving fear to many. Here are some tips on the cheapest way to have a wedding in Melbourne.
Stop and think, though, that many of the features used in weddings are often extraneous. Cutting back and finding smaller venues can help considerably. The same goes with finding a booking agency with reasonable rates for your wedding entertainment.
As in Sydney, Melbourne has many wedding venues at all price ranges. A lot of great smaller places are available that can help you pare down and go for a more uncomplicated wedding atmosphere.
One great place is Wattle Park Chalet, known for being one of the top budget venues in the city. Their rustic style in the interiors is all made of materials salvaged from historic public buildings. While it’s one of the most beautiful wedding locations in Melbourne, it’s also the most recycled. It holds up to 250 guests with lovely gardens for all your photo moments.
Table of Contents
- 1 Cutting Back on What’s Unnecessary
- 2 Finding Affordable Entertainment
- 3 Cheap Wedding Reception In Melbourne
- 3.1 Quat Quetta
- 3.2 Yarra Valley Estate
- 3.3 Mornington Golf Club
- 3.4 All Smiles Melbourne Waterfront
- 3.5 Andrews Conservatory
- 3.6 Lieux
- 3.7 Frequently Asked Questions About Wedding Reception
- 3.8 Is it cheaper to have a wedding at a venue or hotel?
- 3.9 What does a wedding venue include?
- 3.10 How much should you spend on a venue for a wedding?
- 3.11 What couples want from a wedding venue?
- 3.12 What is the most expensive part of a wedding?
Cutting Back on What’s Unnecessary
Some people get creative on creating cheaper weddings, even to the point where they generate wedding rings as an amalgam of recycled materials from old family wedding rings. This alone is a smart way to cut back on the most expensive wedding features while setting a significant family statement.
A few things you could do to cut back include renting your wedding dress or suit rather than buying. You could also hire a photographer to work for only a couple of hours or place photos on a USB stick to create your prints.
Don’t forget about the potential of crowdfunding either. More people in Australia are starting to use crowdfunding sources online to pay for their weddings so they’ll have enough funds to cover everything they want.
Finding Affordable Entertainment
It’s not easy to find affordable wedding entertainers. What’s important is to save up enough to book the very best entertainment you can find. Music is the soul of your wedding since they’re providing a soundtrack of your lives, the wedding theme, and representing your family heritage.
At Lily Road, we provide top-tier wedding entertainers throughout Sydney and Melbourne. The wedding singer Melbourne and bands we offer are some of the very best entertainers in Australia, including having backgrounds in TV and other media.
We also have our band that can entertain your guests for hours. With our various booking packages, you’ll be able to find an entertainment plan best suiting your budget. If you want a small, intimate wedding, we have outstanding solo performers available at affordable rates.
Yarra Valley Estate is just an hour northeast of Melbourne, but still a world away. Situated on 120 acres of pristine countryside in the Yarra Valley, we offer a space that is both gorgeous, and you can theme to your style.
Just as no two couples are alike, no two weddings are alike at Yarra Valley Estate as we tailor to suit the individual couples. Call us to find out how we can make your romantic, rustic wedding dreams come true.
The Wattle Park Chalet is one of the exceptional Budget Wedding Venues Melbourne has to offer.
We have wedding packages to suit most budgets and sizes.
The Silver and Gold Packages are for those who want to get spoilt for choice – they are five and 5.5-hour function duration respectively.
The Classic Package is available for non-Saturdays and can cater to those with a smaller budget.
The Classic Package is a smaller package that includes a three-course menu as well as a standard beverage. This is the perfect package if you are looking at a simple wedding reception without all the fuss.
All our packages include exclusive use of the Wattle Park Chalet’s Grand Hall and Private Garden on your wedding day, letting you have the Chalet to yourself for the day.
The Wattle Park Chalet aims to make every wedding tremendous and tailored to your budget is part of the service.
Feel free to visit us in person or call us, and we can start helping you plan your dream wedding.
Cheap Wedding Reception In Melbourne
This Victorian mansion is a stunning blend of historic elegance and contemporary chic with tasteful accents like festoon lighting, a bronze fountain, and hand-painted windows that exude a uniqueness that will help your celebration of love stand out. The building also takes on a magical nature with its soaring ceilings adorned with intricate crown moulding, parquet dance floor, lighting that makes everything glow, and an intimate outdoor courtyard. This venue transports you back in time (did I mention they have candelabras?), but allows you to take all our beloved modern conveniences with you.
Typical Cost: Ranges from $90 to $170 per person
Bonus: The food served at Quat Quetta is so delicious they’ve been admitted to Australia’s Restaurant & Caterers Hall of Fame.
Yarra Valley Estate
Located on 120 acres of native bushland, this sprawling venue allows nature to play a prominent role in your rustic wedding. There are numerous outdoor options for ceremonies, and all indoor spaces feature massive picture windows and balconies to keep the essence of nature present regardless of where you are on the property. On-site caterers, that source a good deal of ingredients from the organic vegetable garden on the estate, work with guests to create seasonal and customisable menu options. For those who don’t want the party to end, Yarra Valley Estates offers 48 bedrooms and can provide a breakfast buffet the morning after your wedding.
Typical cost: $99 to $145 per person
Capacity: 50 -100
Bonus: Guests can take tours of the Babbajin Park Wildlife Shelter, located on the estate, and meet the animals being rehabilitated there.
Check out our post on 12 Wedding Planning Tips from Yarra Valley Winery Wedding Experts
Mornington Golf Club
This lush course is perched on a cliff overlooking Port Phillip Bay and offers sweeping views of the Melbourne skyline. The club offers two function rooms that serve as blank slates to build your dream wedding upon – and they’re air-conditioned, which can be a lifesaver during Australia’s steamier months. In-house caterers are available, in addition to a variety of packages to help meet the needs of any budget. This beautifully simple golf club is the ideal venue for those hoping for classic wedding vibes.
Typical cost: $550 for the 5-hour venue rental fee, plus $65 per person
Bonus: A cart will be offered to whisk you and your other half off to prime photo destinations on the grounds. (Sunset shots with the bay glittering behind you, anyone?)
All Smiles Melbourne Waterfront
Couples wanting nuptials with an urban essence will rejoice when they step into this space. The stunning “all smiles” venue, with modern architecture and floor-to-ceiling windows, sits on the Victoria Harbour with panoramic views of the Melbourne skyline and the iconic twin cantilever Bolte Bridge. If you desire a more laid back celebration (aka no seating chart required), this is your spot, as they only offer a cocktail wedding package where goodies such as smoked salmon roulade, sushi, mini pies, and more will be served throughout the duration of the celebration.
Typical cost: $100 to $140 per person
Bonus: The different arrangement of couches, lounges, ottomans, and bar stools creates a nice flow, allowing guests to mingle while also having comfortable nooks for intimate conversations easily.
Andrews Conservatory Daytime weddings in this space are bathed in natural light flowing in from the glass roof. At the same time, evening celebrations are coated in romance as the massive bamboo lanterns hanging from the ceiling fill the room with a delicate glow. This award-winning space provides a sophisticated atmosphere, with its ceiling crisscrossed with steel beams and the lounge area adorned with sleek black leather sofas, while also having a layer of coziness created by the large fireplace. The Conservatory caters to various preferences by offering a cocktail or seated wedding packages.
Typical cost: $100 to $160 per person
Capacity: 60 – 160
Bonus: Located in the famous Pumphouse Hotel, acclaimed for its food and drink, you and your guests will be living the good life with menu items such as “local scallops in the shell with Asian coleslaw and Japanese mayo” and “Peking duck pancakes with hoisin and sesame seed dipping sauce.” Yes, please.
Don’t let the sound of a budget wedding venue leave you with low expectations. Linux is a venue that offers elegance, convenience and style in a beautiful setting. Most suitable for private, intimate celebrations, we’d be delighted to host you and your guests, ensuring that your reception runs like a dream with its own distinctive style. If you have some ideas, we would like to hear them. If you don’t, we’ll have a few of our own to complement the type of wedding reception experience you want to share with your guests. Allow us to walk you through our unique function facilities and explain just how easy it will be to coordinate this critical life event with a unique space like ours.
Able to cater small to medium-sized functions, Lieux boasts a fully equipped kitchen that is managed by an experienced catering team. Our seasonal, produce-driven menu makes for a truly unique wedding reception experience. With years of industry experience, we provide a level of service that transfers to your event. We’re dedicated to providing affordable luxury, giving you the chance to enjoy your big day without stretching your budget. We believe in exceptional quality at an affordable price. Having the long experience of being one of the premier venues for a budget wedding Melbourne has available, our chefs have a real insight into what food your guests will absolutely love.
Linux has several unique spaces and numerous capacity options for both cocktail style weddings or seated receptions with restaurant-quality food, set menus and beverage packages. If you’re as passionate as we are about your special day being remembered for all the right reasons, allow us the opportunity to show you first-hand what the team and space at Lieux can offer. We can also provide recommendations and introductions to other local providers should you need help planning accommodation, flowers, gifts or music. If you’d like further information or to reserve a date for your wedding, please call us on the phone number provided. We look forward to meeting & assisting you and partner in planning your special day.
Apart from merely listing budget-friendly wedding venues in Melbourne all in one place, we’re also happy to share our tips and tricks with you. Have a look and get inspired:
- Check for hidden costs – Sometimes a wedding venue may seem quite affordable, but be sure to read the fine print! Some costs, such as corkage or the cake cutting fee, may not be stated openly. It’s also good to make sure if the service charge is included in the price. Last but not least, check what’s not included in the price of the venue and estimate how much it would cost to provide all the features you’re going to need on your big day.
- Get married in the morning – Wedding breakfasts and brunch receptions are a hot new trend in Melbourne right now! If you consider yourselves as early birds, this is a really cool way to add a personal touch to your big day. Venue hire prices tend to go up when the sun goes down, so if you’d like to have your celebration organised a bit earlier, you’re very likely to save a pretty penny.
- Consider a winter wedding – With the average winter temperatures ranging around 10 degrees, Melbourne doesn’t get cold – and you’re sure to escape the heatwave! The best part about getting married between June and August is that venue hire prices are significantly lower at that time. If there’s a spot you really like but can’t afford otherwise, this is the solution to consider.
- Cut down the costs of decoration – Decorating a blank space can be both time consuming and costly. You can get all the pretty things included in the price if you choose one of our already stunning wedding venues instead! Simply add a bunch of flowers, a few personal touches, and you’re ready to go with a bundle of bills still left!
So, how much exactly is a cheap wedding in Melbourne? There’s no single answer to this big question, but don’t worry – we’re here to clue you in! Here are your handy guide wedding venue prices in Melbourne:
- When it comes to hiring fees for wedding venues in Melbourne, the price range is diverse and depends on many factors. In the case of small places, a hire fee between $500 and $1500 is usually considered a good deal. If you’re looking for a larger space suitable for more than 200 guests, the prices typically start at around $1500.
- Many venues in Melbourne are priced with a minimum spend option on food and drinks. The rates start at $2000, which is really cheap and can go up to ten times as much. The key is to divide the minimum spend by the number of guests and see if the price per person meets your expectations.
- All-inclusive wedding packages are one of the most affordable and hassle-free options Melbourne has to offer. These typically include food and drink menus, all the costs of venue hire and sometimes additional wedding services as well. The prices start at as low $40 per head for basic options, while less than $100 per person is considered affordable, and less than $75 – a truly great deal!
Searching for a cheap wedding venue in Melbourne, but not sure where to look? Have a look at this list of our favourite locations:
- Melbourne CBD – Think that finding an inexpensive wedding venue in the heart of Melbourne is impossible? Well, we know where to look! We’re happy to show you affordable wedding venue gems hidden in the beautiful little alleyways of the Central Business District and beyond.
- South-East Melbourne – From relaxed coastal suburbs full of affordable beachside venues (St. Kilda, Elwood) to Prahran and Windsor, hip suburbs packed with restaurants and bars available for a private hire – the choice in South-East Melbourne is truly impressive.
- West Melbourne – The most famous highlight of the area is Port Melbourne, formerly an industrial district, now a popular beachside destination. If you’re looking for an affordable wedding venue, just a stone’s throw from the city centre, West Melbourne is the place to go!
Frequently Asked Questions About Wedding Reception
While some of your vendors (like your Photographer and your Band) are going to be the same cost, either at a Wedding Venue or a Resort Hotel, a hotel will have all of the venue, ceremony site fees, catering, bar, china, tables, chairs, linens, staffing, labour, tips, and taxes all rolled into one – so the initial price.
No matter what size wedding or wedding budget you're working with, you can expect your wedding venue to include: an area for the ceremony, an audience space, and two separate lounge spaces for both sides of the wedding party to get ready in.
The average wedding venue cost is $6,000, with most couples spending between $3,000 to $11,000. Note that these are only averages and pricing varies widely depending on a variety of factors, like whether in-house catering is included.
- Couples want to stay within budget.
- Couples want all the facts up front.
- Couples want resources to make the planning process easier.
- Couples want honesty in communication.
- Couples want to make an entrance.
- Couples want wedding venue site tours to painting a picture.
The most expensive parts of most weddings are costs associated with the reception venue, including the cost of renting materials, including tables and chairs, and serving food or alcohol.