Table of Contents
- 1 Choosing The Perfect Lingerie to Match Your Wedding Dress
- 1.1 Step 1: Choose Your Wedding Dress
- 1.2 Step 2: Select The Right Bra
- 1.3 Let’s Talk Colours
- 1.4 Now, the Style
- 1.5 Step 3: Select The Right Undergarment
- 1.6 Step 4: Garters, anyone?
- 1.7 Vines of the Yarra Valley Blog
- 1.8 70+ Best Wedding Singers and Bands in Sydney 
- 1.9 Do you really need a wedding favours?
- 1.10 What to expect from my wedding DJ?
- 1.11 65+ Best Microblading Salon in Melbourne (2022)
- 1.12 12+ Best Dentists in Yarra Valley, Melbourne (2022)
- 1.13 Where Are The Best Garden Wedding Venues In Sydney?
- 1.14 What Are The Celestial Wedding Ideas That Are Out Of This World?
- 1.15 What is the difference between a wedding coordinator and a wedding planner?
- 1.16 30+ Wedding Singers & Entertainers in Melbourne, Victoria (2022)
- 1.17 10+ Best Doctors in Yarra Valley, Melbourne (2022)
Choosing The Perfect Lingerie to Match Your Wedding Dress
The wrong underwear can completely destroy your outfit, and you certainly wouldn’t want such a thing to happen on your wedding day. It is essential to buy bridal lingerie with as much thought as you would pay to your wedding gown (well perhaps not as much, but almost).
Brides-to-be often obsess over their wedding dresses, making sure that it’s perfect for them, from choosing the right wedding dress silhouette to the right type of neckline for their body shape. When they finally pick out that perfect wedding dress, they heave a sigh of relief because it’s over. But it shouldn’t be, because what you wear under your wedding dress can be just as important as the dress itself, and can either make or break your look on your wedding day.
Step 1: Choose Your Wedding Dress
Before you start searching for the appropriate wedding lingerie, you first need to have your wedding dress picked out.
Step 2: Select The Right Bra
Now that you have your wedding dress picked out, you can start searching for the bra that suits the neckline and back design of your chosen wedding dress.
It’s so important to get your wedding day underwear right. The right fit, the right style, the right color. Your underwear has a considerable role to play in how you look and feel in your frock on the day itself.
Below we’ve provided you with a handy guide to the ten most popular styles of wedding dress designs and the recommended bridal lingerie that is compatible with the gown in question.
- Strapless: A classic balcony shape strapless bra is most suitable for this particular style. Once you have your underwear and dress on, move around in all manner of positions to check the fit is comfortable and correct and that the bra isn’t visible over the top or sides of the dress.
- Illusion: Although this style technically covers the shoulders, current fashions for a sheer layer at the top of the dress mean that any bra straps will still be visible. Avoid wearing clear straps as they can even be seen; instead, opt for a well-fitting strapless style.
- Halter Strap: Much like the strapless dress, a halter strap design requires a strapless bra usually in the classic balcony shape. If you’re after a bit more support, then it’s worth looking for a multi-strap bra where you can attach and detach the straps in a myriad of different combinations to suit your dress shape.
- Grecian: A classic balcony shape strapless bra is most suitable for this particular style. Avoid choosing a bra that has any embellishments incorporated into its design as they may be visible underneath the dress.
- Low Cut: V-neck and low cut necklines require serious plunging styles. Typically the shoulder straps of these dress designs err on the thin side so choose a plunge that has thinner straps so they can hide comfortably beneath the dress.Backless: For backless dresses, it’s all about the adhesive bra for support. These types of bras consist of merely two cups – often joined in the middle that are fixed around the breasts using fundamentally solid sticky tape. The lack of a strap around the back means that your backless frock will be shown off to perfection.
- Queen Anne: Dresses with a Queen Anne neckline provide excellent coverage of the chest and shoulder area, giving the wearer a more significant amount of choice when it comes to selecting lingerie. Those with larger busts may prefer a full-cup style to provide them with additional support, while others may opt for less coverage wearing a balconette style.
- One Shoulder: The same advice applies to the one shoulder style frock as mentioned above for the halter neck dress. Just remember that if the fabric of your dress is beautiful, choose a smoother style with fewer seams.
- Scoop Neck: Given that many scoop neck dresses are designed using more delicate materials, a fitted seamless bra such as a t-shirt bra is most suitable for this type of gown. The smooth cup will ensure that your silhouette is shown off to perfection. It’s also worth bearing in mind that if that neck falls low on the dress then opt for a plunge t-shirt bra design to prevent any exposure of the lingerie itself.
- Off The Shoulder: Much like the strapless frock, the classic strapless bra is the best option for an off the shoulder dress. It’s worth mentioning however that if your gown is cut quite low at the front, make sure you choose a strapless plunge style rather than the more traditional balcony shape. Equally an adhesive form is suitable too.
Let’s Talk Colours
Brides may prefer white underwear to wear with their weddings gowns. But you can also wear nudes and cream shades depending on the exact shade of the dress.
The idea is for the bridal underwear to not be visible through the dress. If your dress is sparkling white, check to see if the white lingerie is evident when you pair it with the gown. Often ivory shades work better in remaining invisible with white outfits. But if you are not hung up on white or cream shades, you can also opt for nude underwear with your white bridal gown.
Nudes don’t have to be boring. Choose a style in lace or floral prints. You can also use bras with pink or peach undertones if it works with the fabric of the gown. Try different colors with your gown and check their effect with different lighting. If your ceremony is outdoors, check if the underwear you have chosen is visible in the daylight underneath the gown.
Now, the Style
The style of the bra will depend on the neckline of your gown. Strapless bras match perfectly with most necklines that are popularly used in wedding gowns. For halters, illusion, off-shouldered, one-shouldered, and of course strapless gowns; you will need strapless bras. For low-cut necklines, a plunge bra is ideal. If your gown is backless, choose a bra that you can wear with adhesives if a bra sewn into the dress is not an option. Check this best lingerie in Melbourne!
If you are not comfortable wearing strapless bras, one option is to choose corsets to wear instead. You can try wearing one a few days before the ceremony to check how it feels to you. Corsets are more fitted than strapless bras and can offer you more comfortable if the wedding ceremony is going to be a long one.
If your wedding gown is in designs such as columns or fishtail; choose seamless panties to avoid visible lines. For freer skirt designs, you can select underwear of your preference. Also, consider fabrics when choosing your underwear. Visible lines from panties can be apparent in materials such as chiffon or georgette. So, it is best to select a lace or pure white or cream thong for such gowns. With full dresses, you do have the leeway to wear any kind of underwear. So, try something sexy in sheers or lace.
Step 3: Select The Right Undergarment
Now that you’ve got the upper part of your dress down, it’s time to pick the right undergarment to suit the lower half of your dress. But before you think of the design you want, be sure to decide on an appropriate color for your undergarments by taking into consideration the color of your wedding dress. For classic white dresses, unless they are totally non-sheer, nude undergarments are your best option. Make sure to avoid white at all cost as they will be pronounced under your white dress.
It’s worth mentioning briefly (sorry I couldn’t resist!) paying attention to what you’re wearing on your bottom half too. Regardless of the design of your wedding dress, it’s possible to wear briefs – both bikini and full designs – with them. However, with the more fitted styles, such as fishtail and column gowns, seam-free options will work best, i.e. avoiding the chance of any VPL.
If your frock is more ethereal, made for example from very fine or floaty fabric such as chiffon or even closely fitting lace, then a well-fitting g-string with full sides is your best friend. Again this will reduce the likelihood of any visible lines appearing.
With so much variety available regarding bridal underwear, you don’t have to compromise on the design just for the sake of perfectly matching it with the wedding gown.
Corsets work with most gown styles. You can wear one for the ceremony. Later, you can pair it with stockings once the wedding ceremony is over and you want to add more oomph to your wedding style. You can also opt for teddies instead of the usual bras to wear under the gown.
Bridal bustiers can offer you look and feel of old-world glamour on your wedding day if this is what you want. Bustiers work well with almost every neckline and are super comfortable too. If you prefer the softer touch in your lingerie sets, choose a bra with sheer cups.
Step 4: Garters, anyone?
Garters were traditionally used to hold up stockings on the bride’s legs, and though they are no longer needed, there’s never any harm in wearing them still. They may be used for the traditional garter toss, to surprise your husband on your wedding night, or just as a small keepsake from your wedding.
Garters are made of various materials and come in multiple colors. Here are some straps you may consider, from simple lace garters to a silk and lace garter.
When choosing bridal underwear, the comfort factor is as important as the perfect match. Pay attention to the fabric and styles before buying a bridal set. It is best to avoid designs with embellishments as they can be apparent when worn under delicate gowns.
The ideal bridal underwear is seamless, comfortable, and perfectly complements a wedding gown. But it also makes the bride look and feel very special.
Vines of the Yarra Valley Blog
70+ Best Wedding Singers and Bands in Sydney 
Booking a wedding band or musician has a little more gravitas on it than you might imagine. Far more than being just background music – it’s the difference between your guests having a ripping time at your wedding or not, and in no small way, they are often the glue between all of the other …
Do you really need a wedding favours?
When it comes to wedding favours, it seems there are two teams: those who love the tradition, and those who hate it. Some brides delight in creating the perfect take-home bags of cookies or designing monogrammed flasks, while others loathe the idea of spending money on such small, disposable items. Both sides make good arguments: …
What to expect from my wedding DJ?
A wedding DJ can make or break a wedding. Music is one of the most important aspects of a wedding celebration. So what to expect from a wedding DJ is very important before you hire a service for your reception. Carefully consider all the factors listed on this blog and be 100% sure that the …
65+ Best Microblading Salon in Melbourne (2022)
In the last couple of years, cosmetic eyebrow tattooing has taken the world by storm, mostly because men and women are saving HOURS each weekIf the eyes are the window to the soul. The eyebrows are the key to eternal happiness. However, nailing the optimal shape or colour for your face can be a tricky …
12+ Best Dentists in Yarra Valley, Melbourne (2022)
When you’re looking for a new dentist, you’re searching for more than someone to clean your teeth. A dentist is your partner in oral health. Routine dental checkups and treatment by a dentist can help keep your teeth, mouth and gums healthy and prevent dental disease. And poor oral health can contribute to other health …
Where Are The Best Garden Wedding Venues In Sydney?
All of these venues offer beautiful gardens perfect for your special day. Plus, they’re all conveniently located in Sydney. So, whether you’re looking for an outdoor ceremony or reception venue, these venues have you covered. Read on to learn more about each one! Table of Contents1 FAQs About Wedding Venue 2 What Is The Best …
What Are The Celestial Wedding Ideas That Are Out Of This World?
If you checked to make sure your partner’s star sign was compatible with yours when you first met and swear your love is written in the stars, you should consider injecting your wedding with some mystical, celestial vibes. Think of a dark and moody colour palette, glittering, starlike lighting, and designs that feature your and …
What is the difference between a wedding coordinator and a wedding planner?
Even before you got engaged and started the wedding planning process, you might have heard the term “wedding planner” or “wedding coordinator” and thought they were pretty much the same person. While a full-service wedding planner that is with you throughout the majority of your wedding planning process will take on the role of a …
30+ Wedding Singers & Entertainers in Melbourne, Victoria (2022)
Weddings are a time of celebration and joy, but they can be stressful as well. One thing that any bride will tell you – it’s the entertainment! Make your day perfect by finding the perfect entertainer for your wedding. We have everything from traditional musicians to comedians, DJs and more. Search through our database to …
10+ Best Doctors in Yarra Valley, Melbourne (2022)
Choosing a new doctor can be a challenge, especially if you have moved to a new community. Asking for recommendations from co-workers, neighbours, and friends is a good way to start, but you will have to decide which doctor is best suited to your needs and situation. You will need to decide what type of …