Table of Contents
- 1 Choosing The Perfect Lingerie to Match Your Wedding Dress
- 1.1 Step 1: Choose Your Wedding Dress
- 1.2 Step 2: Select The Right Bra
- 1.3 Let’s Talk Colours
- 1.4 Now, the Style
- 1.5 Step 3: Select The Right Undergarment
- 1.6 Step 4: Garters, anyone?
- 1.7 Vines of the Yarra Valley Blog
- 1.8 99 Wedding Hair & Makeup Beauty Artists & Salons in Melbourne
- 1.9 47 Hens Party Ideas in Melbourne for an Amazing Ladies Night
- 1.10 5 Winter Wedding Tips to Keep You Warm and Comfy
- 1.11 Fun Hens Party Ideas
- 1.12 Ultimate Guide to Plus Size Wedding Dress Shopping
- 1.13 20 Things to do in Melbourne While Here for Vines Wedding
- 1.14 50 Best Bridal Florists specializing in Melbourne Weddings
- 1.15 25 Melbourne Wedding Stylists & Decorators in Victoria
- 1.16 7 Essential Wedding Planning Tips and Tricks
- 1.17 Wedding Dress Timeline – Monthly Checklist to Your Perfect Bridal Look
Choosing The Perfect Lingerie to Match Your Wedding Dress
The wrong underwear can completely destroy your outfit, and you certainly wouldn’t want such a thing to happen on your wedding day. It is essential to buy bridal lingerie with as much thought as you would pay to your wedding gown (well perhaps not as much, but almost).
Brides-to-be often obsess over their wedding dresses, making sure that it’s perfect for them, from choosing the right wedding dress silhouette to the right type of neckline for their body shape. When they finally pick out that perfect wedding dress, they heave a sigh of relief because it’s over. But it shouldn’t be, because what you wear under your wedding dress can be just as important as the dress itself, and can either make or break your look on your wedding day.
Step 1: Choose Your Wedding Dress
Before you start searching for the appropriate wedding lingerie, you first need to have your wedding dress picked out.
Step 2: Select The Right Bra
Now that you have your wedding dress picked out, you can start searching for the bra that suits the neckline and back design of your chosen wedding dress.
It’s so important to get your wedding day underwear right. The right fit, the right style, the right color. Your underwear has a considerable role to play in how you look and feel in your frock on the day itself.
Below we’ve provided you with a handy guide to the ten most popular styles of wedding dress designs and the recommended bridal lingerie that is compatible with the gown in question.
- Strapless: A classic balcony shape strapless bra is most suitable for this particular style. Once you have your underwear and dress on, move around in all manner of positions to check the fit is comfortable and correct and that the bra isn’t visible over the top or sides of the dress.
- Illusion: Although this style technically covers the shoulders, current fashions for a sheer layer at the top of the dress mean that any bra straps will still be visible. Avoid wearing clear straps as they can even be seen; instead, opt for a well-fitting strapless style.
- Halter Strap: Much like the strapless dress, a halter strap design requires a strapless bra usually in the classic balcony shape. If you’re after a bit more support, then it’s worth looking for a multi-strap bra where you can attach and detach the straps in a myriad of different combinations to suit your dress shape.
- Grecian: A classic balcony shape strapless bra is most suitable for this particular style. Avoid choosing a bra that has any embellishments incorporated into its design as they may be visible underneath the dress.
- Low Cut: V-neck and low cut necklines require serious plunging styles. Typically the shoulder straps of these dress designs err on the thin side so choose a plunge that has thinner straps so they can hide comfortably beneath the dress.Backless: For backless dresses, it’s all about the adhesive bra for support. These types of bras consist of merely two cups – often joined in the middle that are fixed around the breasts using fundamentally solid sticky tape. The lack of a strap around the back means that your backless frock will be shown off to perfection.
- Queen Anne: Dresses with a Queen Anne neckline provide excellent coverage of the chest and shoulder area, giving the wearer a more significant amount of choice when it comes to selecting lingerie. Those with larger busts may prefer a full-cup style to provide them with additional support, while others may opt for less coverage wearing a balconette style.
- One Shoulder: The same advice applies to the one shoulder style frock as mentioned above for the halter neck dress. Just remember that if the fabric of your dress is beautiful, choose a smoother style with fewer seams.
- Scoop Neck: Given that many scoop neck dresses are designed using more delicate materials, a fitted seamless bra such as a t-shirt bra is most suitable for this type of gown. The smooth cup will ensure that your silhouette is shown off to perfection. It’s also worth bearing in mind that if that neck falls low on the dress then opt for a plunge t-shirt bra design to prevent any exposure of the lingerie itself.
- Off The Shoulder: Much like the strapless frock, the classic strapless bra is the best option for an off the shoulder dress. It’s worth mentioning however that if your gown is cut quite low at the front, make sure you choose a strapless plunge style rather than the more traditional balcony shape. Equally an adhesive form is suitable too.
Let’s Talk Colours
Brides may prefer white underwear to wear with their weddings gowns. But you can also wear nudes and cream shades depending on the exact shade of the dress.
The idea is for the bridal underwear to not be visible through the dress. If your dress is sparkling white, check to see if the white lingerie is evident when you pair it with the gown. Often ivory shades work better in remaining invisible with white outfits. But if you are not hung up on white or cream shades, you can also opt for nude underwear with your white bridal gown.
Nudes don’t have to be boring. Choose a style in lace or floral prints. You can also use bras with pink or peach undertones if it works with the fabric of the gown. Try different colors with your gown and check their effect with different lighting. If your ceremony is outdoors, check if the underwear you have chosen is visible in the daylight underneath the gown.
Now, the Style
The style of the bra will depend on the neckline of your gown. Strapless bras match perfectly with most necklines that are popularly used in wedding gowns. For halters, illusion, off-shouldered, one-shouldered, and of course strapless gowns; you will need strapless bras. For low-cut necklines, a plunge bra is ideal. If your gown is backless, choose a bra that you can wear with adhesives if a bra sewn into the dress is not an option.
If you are not comfortable wearing strapless bras, one option is to choose corsets to wear instead. You can try wearing one a few days before the ceremony to check how it feels to you. Corsets are more fitted than strapless bras and can offer you more comfortable if the wedding ceremony is going to be a long one.
If your wedding gown is in designs such as columns or fishtail; choose seamless panties to avoid visible lines. For freer skirt designs, you can select underwear of your preference. Also, consider fabrics when choosing your underwear. Visible lines from panties can be apparent in materials such as chiffon or georgette. So, it is best to select a lace or pure white or cream thong for such gowns. With full dresses, you do have the leeway to wear any kind of underwear. So, try something sexy in sheers or lace.
Step 3: Select The Right Undergarment
Now that you’ve got the upper part of your dress down, it’s time to pick the right undergarment to suit the lower half of your dress. But before you think of the design you want, be sure to decide on an appropriate color for your undergarments by taking into consideration the color of your wedding dress. For classic white dresses, unless they are totally non-sheer, nude undergarments are your best option. Make sure to avoid white at all cost as they will be pronounced under your white dress.
It’s worth mentioning briefly (sorry I couldn’t resist!) paying attention to what you’re wearing on your bottom half too. Regardless of the design of your wedding dress, it’s possible to wear briefs – both bikini and full designs – with them. However, with the more fitted styles, such as fishtail and column gowns, seam-free options will work best, i.e. avoiding the chance of any VPL.
If your frock is more ethereal, made for example from very fine or floaty fabric such as chiffon or even closely fitting lace, then a well-fitting g-string with full sides is your best friend. Again this will reduce the likelihood of any visible lines appearing.
With so much variety available regarding bridal underwear, you don’t have to compromise on the design just for the sake of perfectly matching it with the wedding gown.
Corsets work with most gown styles. You can wear one for the ceremony. Later, you can pair it with stockings once the wedding ceremony is over and you want to add more oomph to your wedding style. You can also opt for teddies instead of the usual bras to wear under the gown.
Bridal bustiers can offer you look and feel of old-world glamour on your wedding day if this is what you want. Bustiers work well with almost every neckline and are super comfortable too. If you prefer the softer touch in your lingerie sets, choose a bra with sheer cups.
Step 4: Garters, anyone?
Garters were traditionally used to hold up stockings on the bride’s legs, and though they are no longer needed, there’s never any harm in wearing them still. They may be used for the traditional garter toss, to surprise your husband on your wedding night, or just as a small keepsake from your wedding.
Garters are made of various materials and come in multiple colors. Here are some straps you may consider, from simple lace garters to a silk and lace garter.
When choosing bridal underwear, the comfort factor is as important as the perfect match. Pay attention to the fabric and styles before buying a bridal set. It is best to avoid designs with embellishments as they can be apparent when worn under delicate gowns.
The ideal bridal underwear is seamless, comfortable, and perfectly complements a wedding gown. But it also makes the bride look and feel very special.
Vines of the Yarra Valley Blog
99 Wedding Hair & Makeup Beauty Artists & Salons in Melbourne
Table of Contents1 Melbourne’s Best Wedding / Bridal Hair & Makeup Stylists1.1 Tamie George Hair – Specializing in Wedding & Bridal Hair styling1.2 Julie Dammery Wedding Hair & Makeup Beauty Artists1.3 Jéda Vu Makeup Artistry1.4 By Farnoosh Wedding Hair & Makeup Beauty Artists1.5 Felicia Sarwono Makeup Art1.6 Mobile Makeovers Makeup and Hair1.7 Magical Makeovers1.8 Nicole …
47 Hens Party Ideas in Melbourne for an Amazing Ladies Night
Table of Contents1 Melbourne’s Ultimate List of Hens Party Ideas 1.1 Magic Men Australia2 Hens Party Boat Cruise in Melbourne2.1 Oriental Queen Cruises in Melbourne’s Beautiful Harbour2.2 The Hotel Windsor2.3 Runway Room2.4 Mary Eats Cake2.5 The Pole Room2.6 OzParty Events2.7 Bottoms Up Dance2.8 Holly’s Hens2.9 Puppetry of the Penis Private Parties2.10 LADIES NIGHT IN – …
5 Winter Wedding Tips to Keep You Warm and Comfy
Wedding in cold weather has something majestic and beautiful about it- there is nothing more magical than sunlight shining on snow, reflecting the profound beauty of nature. A winter wedding is a slightly budget friendly idea as venues and suppliers are usually cheaper, because of its off-season. It’s a win-win situation as you can plan …
Fun Hens Party Ideas
Taking it from personal experience, there seems to be a growing trend of brides preferring relaxing getaways, experiences and dinners with their girlfriends over a rub-up by as many topless men as possible while downing a bottle of Champagne for their hen’s night. Sounds like you and the bride-to-be? If yes, we have compiled a …
Ultimate Guide to Plus Size Wedding Dress Shopping
Table of Contents1 11 Best Wedding Dress Styles for Plus Sizes1.1 Before we start, let’s have a chat about the models:1.2 The shops:1.3 How to prepare:1.4 Shapewear1.5 The clips2 1. A-Line Wedding Dresses Look Great on Every Body3 2. Wedding Gowns with a Dropped Waist Hug Your Curves in All the Right Places4 3. Ball …
20 Things to do in Melbourne While Here for Vines Wedding
Table of Contents1 St Kilda Pier2 St Kilda Botanical Gardens3 Jewish Museum of Australia4 The St Kilda Esplanade Market5 Acland Street Village6 Palais Theatre7 Luna Park Melbourne8 Catani Gardens9 Veg Out Community Gardens St Kilda10 St Kilda Ferry11 F1 – Australian Grand Prix12 Alma Park13 Albert Park14 St Kilda Town Hall15 Alex Theatre St Kilda16 …
50 Best Bridal Florists specializing in Melbourne Weddings
Table of Contents1 50 of the best Bridal Florist that specialize in Melbourne Weddings!1.1 1.2 Thrive Flowers & Events1.2.1 Flowers for the Bridal Party1.2.2 Flowers for the Ceremony1.2.3 Flowers for the Reception1.2.4 Installations1.3 Juliet Louise1.3.1 We are a Boutique, Bespoke, Eco Wedding Florist1.3.2 Melbourne Wedding Flowers1.4 Arthouse Studio Floral Design & Styling1.5 Forever Yours Flowers1.5.1 …
25 Melbourne Wedding Stylists & Decorators in Victoria
Table of Contents1 Jenny Chiu Bilingual Wedding Planning & MC Services2 Serenity Wedding Planning3 Harper & Grace Designs – Wedding Planner / Floral4 Katie Zac Weddings & Events5 Event Management by Alex6 Keepsake Weddings & Events7 Space Crush Events8 Wallflower Events9 The Super Styler10 Flower Of The Lily Events11 Valure Events12 Events by Jacque13 SB …
7 Essential Wedding Planning Tips and Tricks
A wedding is without a doubt one of the most important days in the lives of any couple and the planning that precedes it is equally important just like the actual day. From planning for the engagement photos to choosing vendors to organizing the wedding party, meticulous planning is always necessary to ensure that come …
Wedding Dress Timeline – Monthly Checklist to Your Perfect Bridal Look
Table of Contents1 Wedding Dress Timeline: Monthly To-Dos to Perfect Your Bridal Look1.1 Here’s Your Complete Wedding Dress Shopping Timeline –1.2 Twelve Months to Go1.3 Determine Your Wedding Venue and Date1.4 Set a Budget for Your Dress and Accessories1.5 Do Your Research1.6 Choose Your Shopping Mates1.7 Go Wedding Dress Shopping1.8 12-10 Months to Go1.9 Start …