Table of Contents
- 1 Choosing The Perfect Lingerie to Match Your Wedding Dress
- 1.1 Step 1: Choose Your Wedding Dress
- 1.2 Step 2: Select The Right Bra
- 1.3 Let’s Talk Colours
- 1.4 Now, the Style
- 1.5 Step 3: Select The Right Undergarment
- 1.6 Step 4: Garters, anyone?
- 1.7 Vines of the Yarra Valley Blog
- 1.8 What should a wedding DJ do?
- 1.9 13+ Best Electricians in Yarra Valley, Melbourne 
- 1.10 20 Things to do in Melbourne While Here for Vines Wedding
- 1.11 What should I expect at a bridal shower?
- 1.12 10+ Best Accountants in Yarra Valley, Melbourne 
- 1.13 Where do you stand when filming a wedding?
- 1.14 Is the first year of marriage the hardest?
- 1.15 Average Cost of a Wedding Dress – Wedding Dress Cost Guide
- 1.16 Top 10 Best Private Schools In Melbourne (Affordable Options)
- 1.17 35+ Best Wedding DJ in Sydney 
Choosing The Perfect Lingerie to Match Your Wedding Dress
The wrong underwear can completely destroy your outfit, and you certainly wouldn’t want such a thing to happen on your wedding day. It is essential to buy bridal lingerie with as much thought as you would pay to your wedding gown (well perhaps not as much, but almost).
Brides-to-be often obsess over their wedding dresses, making sure that it’s perfect for them, from choosing the right wedding dress silhouette to the right type of neckline for their body shape. When they finally pick out that perfect wedding dress, they heave a sigh of relief because it’s over. But it shouldn’t be, because what you wear under your wedding dress can be just as important as the dress itself, and can either make or break your look on your wedding day.
Step 1: Choose Your Wedding Dress
Before you start searching for the appropriate wedding lingerie, you first need to have your wedding dress picked out.
Step 2: Select The Right Bra
Now that you have your wedding dress picked out, you can start searching for the bra that suits the neckline and back design of your chosen wedding dress.
It’s so important to get your wedding day underwear right. The right fit, the right style, the right color. Your underwear has a considerable role to play in how you look and feel in your frock on the day itself.
Below we’ve provided you with a handy guide to the ten most popular styles of wedding dress designs and the recommended bridal lingerie that is compatible with the gown in question.
- Strapless: A classic balcony shape strapless bra is most suitable for this particular style. Once you have your underwear and dress on, move around in all manner of positions to check the fit is comfortable and correct and that the bra isn’t visible over the top or sides of the dress.
- Illusion: Although this style technically covers the shoulders, current fashions for a sheer layer at the top of the dress mean that any bra straps will still be visible. Avoid wearing clear straps as they can even be seen; instead, opt for a well-fitting strapless style.
- Halter Strap: Much like the strapless dress, a halter strap design requires a strapless bra usually in the classic balcony shape. If you’re after a bit more support, then it’s worth looking for a multi-strap bra where you can attach and detach the straps in a myriad of different combinations to suit your dress shape.
- Grecian: A classic balcony shape strapless bra is most suitable for this particular style. Avoid choosing a bra that has any embellishments incorporated into its design as they may be visible underneath the dress.
- Low Cut: V-neck and low cut necklines require serious plunging styles. Typically the shoulder straps of these dress designs err on the thin side so choose a plunge that has thinner straps so they can hide comfortably beneath the dress.Backless: For backless dresses, it’s all about the adhesive bra for support. These types of bras consist of merely two cups – often joined in the middle that are fixed around the breasts using fundamentally solid sticky tape. The lack of a strap around the back means that your backless frock will be shown off to perfection.
- Queen Anne: Dresses with a Queen Anne neckline provide excellent coverage of the chest and shoulder area, giving the wearer a more significant amount of choice when it comes to selecting lingerie. Those with larger busts may prefer a full-cup style to provide them with additional support, while others may opt for less coverage wearing a balconette style.
- One Shoulder: The same advice applies to the one shoulder style frock as mentioned above for the halter neck dress. Just remember that if the fabric of your dress is beautiful, choose a smoother style with fewer seams.
- Scoop Neck: Given that many scoop neck dresses are designed using more delicate materials, a fitted seamless bra such as a t-shirt bra is most suitable for this type of gown. The smooth cup will ensure that your silhouette is shown off to perfection. It’s also worth bearing in mind that if that neck falls low on the dress then opt for a plunge t-shirt bra design to prevent any exposure of the lingerie itself.
- Off The Shoulder: Much like the strapless frock, the classic strapless bra is the best option for an off the shoulder dress. It’s worth mentioning however that if your gown is cut quite low at the front, make sure you choose a strapless plunge style rather than the more traditional balcony shape. Equally an adhesive form is suitable too.
Let’s Talk Colours
Brides may prefer white underwear to wear with their weddings gowns. But you can also wear nudes and cream shades depending on the exact shade of the dress.
The idea is for the bridal underwear to not be visible through the dress. If your dress is sparkling white, check to see if the white lingerie is evident when you pair it with the gown. Often ivory shades work better in remaining invisible with white outfits. But if you are not hung up on white or cream shades, you can also opt for nude underwear with your white bridal gown.
Nudes don’t have to be boring. Choose a style in lace or floral prints. You can also use bras with pink or peach undertones if it works with the fabric of the gown. Try different colors with your gown and check their effect with different lighting. If your ceremony is outdoors, check if the underwear you have chosen is visible in the daylight underneath the gown.
Now, the Style
The style of the bra will depend on the neckline of your gown. Strapless bras match perfectly with most necklines that are popularly used in wedding gowns. For halters, illusion, off-shouldered, one-shouldered, and of course strapless gowns; you will need strapless bras. For low-cut necklines, a plunge bra is ideal. If your gown is backless, choose a bra that you can wear with adhesives if a bra sewn into the dress is not an option.
If you are not comfortable wearing strapless bras, one option is to choose corsets to wear instead. You can try wearing one a few days before the ceremony to check how it feels to you. Corsets are more fitted than strapless bras and can offer you more comfortable if the wedding ceremony is going to be a long one.
If your wedding gown is in designs such as columns or fishtail; choose seamless panties to avoid visible lines. For freer skirt designs, you can select underwear of your preference. Also, consider fabrics when choosing your underwear. Visible lines from panties can be apparent in materials such as chiffon or georgette. So, it is best to select a lace or pure white or cream thong for such gowns. With full dresses, you do have the leeway to wear any kind of underwear. So, try something sexy in sheers or lace.
Step 3: Select The Right Undergarment
Now that you’ve got the upper part of your dress down, it’s time to pick the right undergarment to suit the lower half of your dress. But before you think of the design you want, be sure to decide on an appropriate color for your undergarments by taking into consideration the color of your wedding dress. For classic white dresses, unless they are totally non-sheer, nude undergarments are your best option. Make sure to avoid white at all cost as they will be pronounced under your white dress.
It’s worth mentioning briefly (sorry I couldn’t resist!) paying attention to what you’re wearing on your bottom half too. Regardless of the design of your wedding dress, it’s possible to wear briefs – both bikini and full designs – with them. However, with the more fitted styles, such as fishtail and column gowns, seam-free options will work best, i.e. avoiding the chance of any VPL.
If your frock is more ethereal, made for example from very fine or floaty fabric such as chiffon or even closely fitting lace, then a well-fitting g-string with full sides is your best friend. Again this will reduce the likelihood of any visible lines appearing.
With so much variety available regarding bridal underwear, you don’t have to compromise on the design just for the sake of perfectly matching it with the wedding gown.
Corsets work with most gown styles. You can wear one for the ceremony. Later, you can pair it with stockings once the wedding ceremony is over and you want to add more oomph to your wedding style. You can also opt for teddies instead of the usual bras to wear under the gown.
Bridal bustiers can offer you look and feel of old-world glamour on your wedding day if this is what you want. Bustiers work well with almost every neckline and are super comfortable too. If you prefer the softer touch in your lingerie sets, choose a bra with sheer cups.
Step 4: Garters, anyone?
Garters were traditionally used to hold up stockings on the bride’s legs, and though they are no longer needed, there’s never any harm in wearing them still. They may be used for the traditional garter toss, to surprise your husband on your wedding night, or just as a small keepsake from your wedding.
Garters are made of various materials and come in multiple colors. Here are some straps you may consider, from simple lace garters to a silk and lace garter.
When choosing bridal underwear, the comfort factor is as important as the perfect match. Pay attention to the fabric and styles before buying a bridal set. It is best to avoid designs with embellishments as they can be apparent when worn under delicate gowns.
The ideal bridal underwear is seamless, comfortable, and perfectly complements a wedding gown. But it also makes the bride look and feel very special.
Vines of the Yarra Valley Blog
What should a wedding DJ do?
Weddings are a celebration of two individuals coming together out of love. Great weddings, however, are so much more. A great wedding has everything to do with the events surrounding the betrothed. It’s about the food, the open bar, the setting, and of course, the music. Most great weddings culminate in the joyous, and sometimes …
13+ Best Electricians in Yarra Valley, Melbourne 
It’s essential to keep the electrical system within your home safe and functional. Still, when something goes wrong, you want to work with an expert for a safe and effective solution. However, with so many electricians to choose from, it can be hard to work out how to choose the right electrical contractor for your …
20 Things to do in Melbourne While Here for Vines Wedding
Table of Contents1 St Kilda Pier2 St Kilda Botanical Gardens3 Jewish Museum of Australia4 The St Kilda Esplanade Market5 Acland Street Village6 Palais Theatre7 Luna Park Melbourne8 Catani Gardens9 Veg Out Community Gardens St Kilda10 St Kilda Ferry11 F1 – Australian Grand Prix12 Alma Park13 Albert Park14 St Kilda Town Hall15 Alex Theatre St Kilda16 …
What should I expect at a bridal shower?
There are a lot of celebrations associated with weddings besides the nuptials themselves. There’s the engagement party, bachelorette party, and bridal shower, to name a few. But what is a bridal shower exactly? Who throws the bash, who is invited, and what is the etiquette? Consider your questions answered with this helpful guide that explains …
10+ Best Accountants in Yarra Valley, Melbourne 
Has your business grown to a point where your account department needs to be handled by an expert? If yes, then you need to look for a credible certified public accountant to help you. Most entrepreneurs who start their own business usually operate every department of their business, including the accounts department. However, as the …
Where do you stand when filming a wedding?
When I was a beginning videographer, I threw myself in the deep end and learned the hard way. One of the most important things you have to learn as a beginner is where to stand while shooting the different parts of the wedding. I mostly filmed Catholic (90%) and civil wedding videos. However, wedding …
Is the first year of marriage the hardest?
“The first year of marriage is the hardest,” I told my friend, trying to be comforting. The truth is, I’m not sure why I said it. It’s just something people say—I had no idea if it’s true or just helpful to hear. Why would the first year be the hardest? I assume that it was …
Average Cost of a Wedding Dress – Wedding Dress Cost Guide
There is something extraordinary about walking through the doors of a wedding gown boutique and knowing you could find ‘the one’ among the racks. But how much are Australian brides willing to spend? What’s the average cost of a wedding dress? Looking for the ultimate Wedding Reception Venue in Melbourne? Look no further, Vines of …
Top 10 Best Private Schools In Melbourne (Affordable Options)
Look for a private school in Melbourne for your child? When you are planning for your child’s education, you probably want everything to be just perfect. One of the best ways to make sure that it all turns out the way you dreamed is to select the right school for them. This way you can …
35+ Best Wedding DJ in Sydney 
The wedding reception is almost as critical as the ceremony itself, and music is the most important element to all of this. If you’re looking for a premium wedding DJ in Sydney, you’re in the right place. Located in Sydney and searching for wedding music entertainment to rock your wedding? Look no further! Table of …